Sunday, September 29, 2013

Savanna Biome

Tropical Seasonal Forest/ Savanna

Date: November 1-29

City: Kabwe, Zambia

Climate Diagram

--In the month of October, the average temperature in Kabwe is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit.  This is similar to the temperature that I faced at my last biome, just to the north of Kabwe.  

Packing List:
-Water Bottle               -Hiking Boots
-Camera          -Binoculars          -Safari Hat

Adventures:

While being in the savanna biome I had the great opportunity to go on a real life safari expedition.  I was able to witness all that the savanna has to offer to the animals that take home there.  The wildlife that I was able to see while on this safari was incredible, and I know that nothing compares to this wildlife.  What may seem like a barren landscape is actually thriving with plant life and animal life that keeps the ecosystem continuing.  This area can also be known as the tropical deciduous forest or tropical seasonal forest. These names are given due to the fact that the trees drop their leaves during the dry summer season.  The precipitation levels drop dramatically during the months of May to September.  The entire biome goes into a state of drought, that the wildlife has adapted to.  When I visited this area, the first rain of the season had just occurred, and the animals were in heaven.

I was so happy that I made sure to bring my camera and binoculars with me on this safari adventure.  I was able to see all sorts of plants and animals that normally I just read about in books or see in shows.  I was able to see elephants, zebras, and giraffes up close.  I also got to see lions, leopard, kangaroos, and cheetahs.  Seeing all of these animals in real life was an amazing experience.  These animals all thrive on the plant life that is able to withstand the tough dry seasons.  The plants in the savanna are mostly pine trees, palm trees, and shrubs.  While on this safari, I was able to learn more about the way humans are destroying this beautiful biome.  The act of poaching is still prevalent, but also agriculture is making a huge impact on this area.  Due to the fertile soil, humans convert the area into areas that can be used for agricultural purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment