Sunday, September 29, 2013

Subtropical Desert Biome

Subtropical Desert

Date: October 1-30

City: Siwa, Egypt

Climate Diagram

--In Egypt during the month of October, the average temperature is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit.  The area just finished its hotter months, and is beginning to cool off for the winter months to come.  The heat that is normally associated with the Sahara Desert is not occurring during this time.

Packing List:
-Shorts               -Tall Socks
-Hiking Boots          -Sunglasses          -Water Bottle

Adventures:

When I first imagined the subtropic desert biome, I immediately pictured deathly hot deserts like those in the movies.  I was very wrong about this.  When I entered Siwa, Egypt I was immediately reminded of Arizona.  I have been to Arizona several times to visit family that lives there, and the area that I was in reminded me of that.  The dry air that was present and the types of vegetation all lended themselves to resemble Arizona.  Most of the areas that are inhabited by the desert biome are located in deserts.  The Sahara Desert, Arabian Desert, and Great Victorian Desert in Australia all are examples.  All of these places have similar landscapes and resemble each other.  Due to the dry conditions and extremely hot summer months, the plants that grow must have few pores for water and air exchange in order to maintain as much water as possible.  I was able to see cacti, euphorbs, and succulent plants.  The cacti that were present are what are typically associated with the desert biome.

The animals that I was able to see were those that would only be expected to be found in a desert climate. I had the chance to ride a camel through the desert, which not many people can say that they have done. The amount of reptiles that were present was not unexpected due to the hot climate.  Reptiles are able to live through the conditions without much hardship that other mammals would face.  Very few herbivores are able to live in this biome due to the protection that the plants have developed.  Tall socks were in order when I was hiking around so that no spikes on the plants would scratch up my legs.



No comments:

Post a Comment