Saturday, September 28, 2013

Tundra Biome

Tundra

Date: June 1 - 29

City:  Tuktoyaktuk, Canada


Climate Diagram
-- Traveling in June to the tundra was specifically chosen so that the temperature might be better suited for sight seeing.  During the month of June, the average temperature is 41 degrees Fahrenheit, which is considered balmy for the tundra!

Packing List
-Hiking Boots            -Sweatshirt/long pants
-Insect Repellant          -Binoculars          -Snacks/drinks
 
Adventures:
 
Traveling to the tundra in June was during the short growing season.  This season is only possible due to the fact that the region is tilted toward the Sun and is able to warm up enough to grow some sort of plant life.  Along with plant life comes the melting of the permafrost that seems permanent in the tundra biome.  There were no trees present in the tundra due to the solid ground.  This prevents any deep roots from forming in plants.  For the most part only small woody shrubs and mosses are able to grow.  Due to the cold nature of the tundra, decomposition of dead animals and plants occurs very slowly and keeps the soil from gaining nutrients.
 
The standing water that melted from the rapid rise in temperatures created a bug problem that was annoying while on this trip.  I was glad that I brought my binoculars with.  The tundra is filled with wild life that is incredible to see, even from a distance.  I was able to see foxes and giant caribou from my hiking adventures.  While there were no polar bears witnessed on my trip, I know that they are prevalent in the tundra in the colder months.  Hares were also present in the tundra biome that bounded around looking for new food sources.  The warmer temperature for the tundra that I witnessed was not ordinary, but it allowed me to see more of the biome than I would be able to otherwise.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment