Sunday, September 29, 2013

Woodland/Shrubland Biome

Woodland/Shrubland

Date: September 1-29

City: Izmir, Turkey

Climate Diagram

--During the month of September, the temperature is beginning to fall into its Fall range, but it is still warmer than the other areas I have been.  With the temperature ranging in the 80s, the weather was very pleasant. 

Packing List:
-Sunglasses              -Supply of water
-Camera        -Hiking Boots        -Swimsuit

Adventures:

Traveling to Turkey provided a unique experience.  While I easily could have witnessed the woodland biome by just traveling to California, I decided that I wanted to continue my quest outside of the United States.  The Mediterranean area holds a large cluster of woodland and shrubland biomes.  With more time spend on the coast, I also learned that this biome is present in South America, southwestern Australia, as well as southern Africa.  Such a seemingly simple biome is located all across the globe.  While in Turkey I was able to quickly notice a change in the type of vegetation that grew there.  The semiarid climate allows for large areas of grasses and wildflowers.  The hot summers that occur make the possibility of wildfires very prevalent.  Due to this, most of the plants located in this area have adapted to resprout quickly after fires have torn the area apart.

The wildlife that I was able to see in the woodland area was what I would have expected to see.  The predominate animals in this biome include coyotes, foxes, and mountain lions.  Smaller animals include deer, rabbits, lizards, and snakes.  I had the unfortunate pleasure of coming face to face with a slithering snake while on one of my hikes.  Located along the Mediterranean provided the temptation to take a plunge into the waters.  Bringing my swimsuit allowed me the chance to join most of the people in Izmir and take a quick swim before moving on to my next biome.

 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/places/Mediterranean_Basin





No comments:

Post a Comment